Organizational Change Process and Annual Calendar
Organizational change is a complex process that involves numerous systems and moving pieces across many areas including HR, Finance, and Information Technology. This page, along with the Important Links for HR/Payroll and Finance page, will assist units in understanding how organization change works at MSU, the responsibilities of the unit requesting the change, and the timeline for changes.
- Pre-Planning Information for Units – There are numerous factors units should take into account before modifying an existing active organization or creating a new one and there may be other options available to suit your needs. Please review this information if your unit is considering restructuring, creating new units, including creating sub-units, or merging.
- Organization Change Guidelines (PDF) – This comprehensive document assists units in understanding how organization change works at MSU. It includes important information on required approvals for various types of organization changes, responsibilities of the unit requesting the change, and timelines and time frames.
- Organization Change Fact Sheets – Fact sheets include more detailed information on the most frequently requested types of organization changes. Please review the fact sheet on the specific type of change your unit may be interested in making. The fact sheets currently available are:
To discuss other organization change requests for which fact sheets are not available, including changes to an organization at or above the MAU level, creating U2s or below, or a large organization restructuring, please contact OPB staff responsible for OOI.
- Organization Change Time Frames - This table includes information on the approximate length of time it takes to complete the most frequently requested organization changes and which types of changes require a meeting with the planning group.
- Annual Organization Change Calendar (PDF) – Since OOI is the system of record for all organizations at MSU and interfaces with many other systems, there are specific times of the year that certain organization changes are unavailable as to not interfere with reporting. This calendar contains general guidelines for when specific organization change functions are typically available.
- Frequently Asked Questions - This page contains answers to questions that are often asked when a unit is considering an organization change and will be updated on an ongoing basis. If the answer to your question is not found here or contained in any of the materials on this page, please contact OPB staff responsible for OOI.
- Organization Planning Packet (PDF) – This document contains additional pertinent information on organization changes as it relates to Finance/KFS (accounts, assets, roles), HR/SAP, and Security/ITS (information on security access changes, ARM forms, etc.), and Cognos/EP (budget planning, salary distribution, etc.).
- Organization Change Flow Chart (PDF) – This chart displays how organization changes interface between systems, including OOI, Finance/KFS, HR/SAP, Cognos/EP, and Security/ITS.